Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's a Small World After All

As a few of you know I have started back to work with a nursing agency. This is my first time working in Texas and oh man is it different than Utah as for the organizational things. I truly appreciate my education and background while I worked at an IHC Hospital in Utah. They were organized and we knew our protocols. Although I had a good work experience for my first shift, I did not like the laid back nursing policies. For instance, in Utah, when I recovered a post surgical patient, I knew that I would be checking on the patient VERY often (every 15 minutes for the first hours, then every 30 minutes x 2, then every hour x 4, then every 4 x 24). So when I took a post surgical patient the other day I asked the charge nurse what their protocol was for rounding and assessing my new post surgical patient and she said, "Oh, whenever. Once a shift is good." WHAT!!! Is she honestly telling me that she would only assess her post surgical patient once a shift-Not me!!! So I figured it would be better to go "overboard" how we did it in Utah vs. adopting this nurse’s philosophy. Better safe than sorry is my philosophy.

One thing I am grateful for is how nice the nurses were to me. It kind of felt like going to nursing school clinicals again-you never knew if you were going to orient with a "nice nurse" or one that would make your day hell.

The paperwork was quite different from what I was used to. Frankly, IHC is much more organized with charting and what is required of the nurses. I guess it will just take a little getting used to the way they do it here. Aside from all the confusion, I absolutely LOVED being back to work and seeing patients again.

Another interesting fact about my first shift back was that I know I was blessed by my Heavenly Father. I know this because my first two patients were LDS and as nice as can be. How random is that? The first lady I had met before at a girls LDS dinner and the second LDS patient has an interesting story. She asked me where I moved from and I told her Utah. As we were talking she asked if I was LDS. I, of course said, yes and she said she could tell by my presence when I came into her room, (What a nice complement) and she was LDS, too. To make a long story short we played the "do you know game." She mentioned that she attended BYU around 2001 and I mentioned to her that I just missed her at BYU because I attended from 1998-2000 and cheered there. When she heard that, she asked if I knew, Katie Bills. For those of you who don't know, I was good friends and cheered with Katie at BYU. She passed away from a skiing accident in 1999. My face just lit up and I knew Katie must have had something to do with my patient assignment today. My patient actually grew up with Katie and knew her from church. Talk about a small world. Here is a picture of our squad. Katie is in the bottom row in the center, right below me.


6 comments:

Jocelyn Allan said...

All I can say is WOW. What a crazy small (LDS) world we live in. This old picture of our squad brought back so many good memories-what an awsome experience to meet someone who randomly knew Katie. Good luck with going back to work--I'm sure your Utah experience will put you at the top of the pack! :)

Erickson Fam said...

You have such a cute blog! I'm glad you found me :)
You have a really sweet family. Your girls are adorable! Looks like life is treating you well.

Wardell Family said...

Hey there!
This is Amber (Eastman) Wardell. I came across your blog through Barbie's-what a cute family. Where do you live in Tx? We are here as well. Feel free to stop by our blog... www.wardellfam.blogspot.com :)

becky said...

i just loved this post...thank you for sharing. so fun to see these old pics...wow were those some great days...i look so stinkin' young!

it's funny that you brought katie up...i've been thinking a lot about her lately. thank you for reminding me what is important. :-)

Jenn said...

So cute! Your blog is adorable! I've added you to our blog, you've probably already noticed. I'm having a blast looking at all your photos!!!

Jenn

Unknown said...

I came across your blog over the weekend after I couldn't find Katie on Facebook when I was trying to find some of my old friends from elementary school. Katie was in my ward and a few of my elementary school classes when her family lived in Virginia. Since I stayed back on the east coast for college I hadn't heard about her accident until now. I remember how much I "hated" school back in elementary school after switching from private to public school and everything that came along with being the new kid in class. She was one of the first friends I had there and went out of her way to make sure that I felt welcome, which I still appreciate looking back after all these years.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Scrapbook Pages

Vietnam 2004

Summer